Your questions are already more or less answered:
> 1) If the docValues are that good, can we git rid of the stored values
> altogether?
You can if you want - just configure your field with stored=“false” and
docValues=“true”. Note that you can do that only if:
* field is not analyzed (you cannot enable docValues for analyzed field)
* you do not care about order of your values

> 2) And why the docValues are not enabled by default for multi-valued fields?
Because it is overhead when it comes to indexing and it is not used in all
cases - only if field is used for faceting, sorting or in functions.

HTH,
Emir

> [...]
> However, now it seems that the major benefit of docValues is to optimize
> the lookup time of stored fields.
> Here is the sorting function I wrote as pseudo-code from the discussion:
>

> int docIDs[] = filterDocsOnQuery (query);
> T docValues[] = loadDocValues (sortField);
> TreeMap<T, int> sortFieldValues[] = new TreeMap<>();
> for (int docId : docIDs) {
>    T val = docValues[docId];
>    sortFieldValues.put(val, docId);
> }
> // return docIDs sorted by value
> return sortFieldValues.values;
>

> It is indeed difficult to pre-compute the sorts and facets because we do
> not know what docIDs will be returned by the filtering.
>
> Two last questions I have are:
> 1) If the docValues are that good, can we git rid of the stored values
> altogether?
> 2) And why the docValues are not enabled by default for multi-valued fields?
>

> -T
>

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> OK, last bit of the tutorial.
>>
>> bq: But that does not seem to be helping with sorting or faceting of any
>> kind.
>> This seems to be like a good way to speed up a stored field's retrieval.
>>
>> These are the same thing. I have two docs. I have to know how they
>> sort. Therefore I need the value in the sort field for each. This the
>> same thing as getting the stored value, no?
>>
>> As for facets it's the same problem. To count facet buckets I have to
>> find the values for the  field for each document in the results list
>> and tally them. This is also getting the stored value, right? You're
>> asking "for the docs in my result set, how many of them have val1, how
>> many have val2, how many have val54 etc.
>>
>> And as an aside the docValues can also be used to return the stored value.
>>
>> Best,
>> Erick
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 8:23 PM, S G <sg.online.em...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thank you Eric.
>>>
>>> I guess the biggest piece I was missing was the sort on a field other
>> than
>>> the search field.
>>> Once you have filtered a list of documents and then you want to sort, the
>>> inverted index cannot be used for lookup.
>>> You just have doc-IDs which are values in inverted index, not the keys.
>>> Hence they cannot be "looked" up - only option is to loop through all the
>>> entries of that key's inverted index.
>>>
>>> DocValues come to rescue by reducing that looping operation to a lookup
>>> again.
>>> Because in docValues, the key (i.e. array-index) is the document-index
>> and
>>> gives an O(1) lookup for any doc-ID.
>>>

>>> But that does not seem to be helping with sorting or faceting of any
>> kind.
>>> This seems to be like a good way to speed up a stored field's retrieval.

>>> doc1 = 1
>>> doc2 = 2
>>> doc3 =
>>>
>>> FieldB