Why would you even consider putting static HTML in a search engine? You don’t
want to search it.

1. Filesystems are very fast, and operating systems are very good at caching
them.
2. Files can be pre-compressed for some web servers (Apache, at least) saving
CPU for compression
3. Solr is not a repository, so you need a copy of the files somewhere, maybe
in the file system. You cannot get around the “double” copy by keeping the
originals in Solr.
4. Filesystems are much, much more reliable than Solr. Solr is very good, but
much more complicated than filesystems.

If you really want to fetch blobs by ID and don’t want to use a filesystem, use
a database designed for that. That was the original focus of MySQL, for example.

Solr is not a database. Solr is not a repository. A design using Solr for
primary storage of data is a broken design.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org