Yes, this is actually confusing and the documentation (
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/metrics-reporting.html) does not
help either:

*Index Merge Metrics* : These metrics are collected in respective
registries for each core (e.g., solr.core.collection1…​.), under the INDEX
category.
Basic metrics are always collected - collection of additional metrics can
be turned on using boolean parameters in the /config/indexConfig/metrics.

However, we do not see the merge-metrics being collected if the above
config is absent. So what basic metrics are always collected for merge?
And why do the merge metrics require an additional config while most of the
others are reported directly?

Thanks
SG