Hi Leila,
You should be able to pass score parameter that will tell how to combine
children’s scores to parent’s score:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/other-parsers.html#OtherParsers-Scoring

Maybe you could change approach and index each cell as a separate doc with
layer field and use spatial to filter our covered cells and json faceting to
sum density over layer field. Something like:

  top_layers:{
    type: terms,
    field: layer,
    limit: 10,