From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apa...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 1:49 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr Replication being flaky (6.2.0)

On 1/19/2018 11:27 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 1/19/2018 8:54 AM, Pouliot, Scott wrote:
>> I do have a ticket in with our systems team to up the file handlers
>> since I am seeing the "Too many files open" error on occasion on our
>> prod servers.  Is this the setting you're referring to?  Found we
>> were set to to 1024 using the "Ulimit" command.
>
> No, but that often needs increasing too.  I think you need to increase
> the process limit even if that's not the cause of this particular problem.

Had another thought.  Either of these limits can cause completely unpredictable
problems with Solr.  The open file limit could be the reason for these issues,
even if you're not actually hitting the process limit.  As I mentioned before,
I would expect a process limit to cause Solr to kill itself, and your other
messages don't mention problems like that.

The scale of your Solr installation indicates that you should greatly increase
both limits on all of your Solr servers.

Thanks,
Shawn