I'm a little new to Apache Solr and I'm trying to upgrade a Solr 1 store to
Solr 6. The creators posted a quick upgrade guide, but since they initially
started out using Lucene, I'm wondering if I need to perform some kind of
upgrade with Lucene as I upgrade my Solr indices. I came across the Apache
Solr Index Upgrader tool, but I'm not sure if I should use it. The program
I have uses a SQL database for referencing and I'm trying to minimize any
potential corruption in the process. Could someone better explain the
interaction between Solr and Lucene and whether it would be possible to use
the Index Upgrader tool to upgrade Solr stores with third-party
programs/providers?

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/indexupgrader-tool.html