From: Scott Prentice [mailto:s...@leximation.com]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:13 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: SolrCloud installation troubles...

Using Solr 7.2.0 and Zookeeper 3.4.11

In an effort to move to a more robust Solr environment, I'm setting up a
prototype system of 3 Solr servers and 3 Zookeeper servers. For now, this is
all on one machine, but will eventually be 3 machines.

This works fine on a Ubuntu 5.4.0-6 VM on my local system, but when I do the
same setup on the company's network machine (a Red Hat 4.8.5-16 VM), I'm unable
to create a collection. To keep things simple, I'm not using our custom schema
yet, but just creating a collection through the Solr Admin UI using Collections
> Add Collection, using the "_default" config set. On the Ubuntu system, I can
create various collections .. 1 shard w/ 1 replication .. 2 shards w/ 3
replications .. 3 shards w/ 4 replications .. all seem alive and well.

But when I do the same thing on the Red Hat system it fails. Through the UI,
it'll first time out with this message ..

     Connection to Solr lost

Then after a refresh, the collection appears to have been partially created,
but it's in the "Gone" state, and after some time, is deleted by an apparent
cleanup process. If I try to create one through the command line ..

     ./bin/solr create -c test99 -n _default -s 2 -rf 2

I get this response ..

ERROR: Failed to create collection 'test99' due to:
{10.6.208.31:8984_solr=org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException:IOException
occured when talking to server at: http://10.6.208.31:8984/solr,
10.6.208.31:8985_solr=org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException:IOException
occured when talking to server at: http://10.6.208.31:8985/solr,
10.6.208.31:8983_solr=org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException:IOException
occured when talking to server at: http://10.6.208.31:8983/solr}

I've seen other reports of errors like this but no solutions that seem to apply
to my situation. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
...scott