Many years ago, in a different universe, when Federated Search was a buzzword we
used Unity from FAST FDS (which is now MS ESP). It worked pretty well across
many systems like FAST FDS, Google, Gigablast, ...
Very flexible with different mixers, parsers, query transformers.
Was written in Python and used pylib.medusa.
Search for "unity federated search", there is a book at Google about this, just
to get an idea.

Regards, Bernd