Hi everyone.

Today I replaced in my code all the IntPoint insertions and range queries
with the NumericDocValuesField ones, since I did not find a way to update
the value of an IntPoint. After such replacements, the previous test cases
still work and the overall performance seems to be the same, so who cares!
:)

@ Diego: I ran a test in which I built two indices: a static one that
stores the first 100K documents of my collection in one shot, initializing
the NumericDocValuesField to -1; and the empty dynamic one. Then, I
simulated to crawl the first 1K documents, that I indexed two times: in the
static index by just updating the doc value corresponding to the current
doc ID to a positive integer, and in the dynamic one by writing the
document from scratch (as I did so far). Even with these small numbers, the
update of the static index is on average 60 times faster than the writing
of the dynamic index. Unfortunately, you got the point with your last
reply. I tried to submit a query to both the indices with two common terms:
"contact home" (of course in AND with the condition of a positive doc
value). The two returned top-10 lists are different. In my project, this
can be neglected at evaluation time, but is very relevant at crawling time
since I infer the importance of the discovered links to crawl in the next
cycles by counting how many times my collected pages are in top-k for the
input queries. This probably means that I have to rewrite the part of the
scoring function that counts the idf. Tomorrow I will check for a smart way
to do this, but please tell me if you already know what I have to do.

@ Alessandro: to be honest, I already have in mind a worst-case
implementation for that part of the problem and currently I did not focus
yet on it. Since I need to distinguish the experiments only at evaluation
time, in where I just need to know what pages were crawled by who and when,
I was thinking to store this information in an external data structure. Of
course, a chance to manage this association directly in Lucene would reduce
the amount of code to write. I will try to imagine a better solution also
for this issue, but still, if you have an idea that keeps simple the
queries at crawling time, that currently are my first priority, please let
me know.

Thank you again for your support.

Cheers.