From: Charlie Hull [mailto:char...@flax.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 4:09 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Relevancy Tuning For Solr With Apache Nutch 2.3

On 07/02/2018 21:59, Mukhopadhyay, Aratrika wrote:
> Hello ,
>           I am attempting to tune my results that I retrieve from solr to
> boost the importance of certain fields. The syntax of the query I am using is
> as follows :
> http://localhost:8983/solr/housegov_data/select?indent=on&q=QUERY&defType=edismax&qf=FIELD1^20.0_FIELD2^0.03&wt=json<http://localhost:8983/solr/housegov_data/select?indent=on&q=QUERY&defType=edismax&qf=FIELD1%5e20.0_FIELD2%5e0.03&wt=json>.
>  The issue is that this is not boosting anything in most cases or it isn't
> being able to find any documents that match this criteria. I have used nutch
> to crawl websites and indexed the data to solr. I see that nutch applies an
> index time boost as well. Could that have something to do with this ? Can
> anyone look at the format of this query and enlighten me of any mistakes that
> I am making.

Hi,

- You seem to have two field incorrectly concatenated with an
underscore: qf=FIELD1^20.0_FIELD2^0.03 - this should be a space or an encoded
space
- a large boost of 20 combined with a fractional boost of 0.03 worries me as it
implies that one field is 666 times as important as another, are you sure this
is the case?
- you should turn off *all* the boosts, including the Nutch one, and start
again, *gently* applying boosts where you can *prove* they improve relevancy
- you should consider using a tool such as Quepid (disclaimer: we resell this,
but there's a free trial period you can use) for relevancy tuning based on a
set of test cases

HTH,

Charlie

--