A little more background. Our production Solrclouds are populated via CDCR,
CDCR does not replicate commits, Commits to the target clouds happen via
autoCommit settings

We see relvancy scores get inconsistent when there are too many deletes
which seems to happen when hard commits don't happen.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Webster Homer <webster.ho...@sial.com>
wrote:

> I we do have autoSoftcommit set to 3 seconds. It is NOT the visibility of
> the records that is my primary concern. I am concerned about is the
> accumulation of uncommitted tlog files and the larger number of deleted
> documents.
>
> I am VERY familiar with the Solr documentation on this.
>
> On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2/9/2018 8:44 AM, Webster Homer wrote:
>>
>>> I look at the latest timestamp on a record in the collection and see that
>>> it is over 24 hours old.
>>>
>>> I send a commit to the collection, and then see that the core is now
>>> current, and the segments are fewer. The commit worked
>>>
>>> This is the setting in solrconfig.xml
>>> <autoCommit> <maxTime>${solr.autoCommit.maxTime:60000}</maxTime> <
>>> openSearcher>false</openSearcher> </autoCommit>
>>>

>> As recommended, you have openSearcher set to false.
>>
>> This means that these commits are NEVER going to make changes visible.
>>
>> Don't go and change openSearcher to true.  It is STRONGLY recommended to
>> have openSearcher=false in your autoCommit settings.  The reason for this
>> configuration is that it prevents the transaction log from growing out of
>> control.  With openSearcher=false, those commits will be very fast.  This
>> is because it's opening the searcher that's slow, not the process of
>> writing data to disk.
>>
>> Here's the recommended reading on the subject:
>>
>> https://lucidworks.com/understanding-transaction-logs-softco
>> mmit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/
>>
>> For change visibility, configure autoSoftCommit, probably with a
>> different interval than you have for autoCommit.  I would recommend a
>> longer interval.  Or include the commitWithin parameter on at least some of
>> your update requests.  Or send explicit commit requests, preferably as soft
>> commits.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn

otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to
any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachment
from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors in this
message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages
resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and
any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any of its
subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free of viruses and does
not accept liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted
therewith.

Click http://www.emdgroup.com/disclaimer to access the German, French,
Spanish and Portuguese versions of this disclaimer.