Hello,

We have a use case of a very large index (slave-master; for unrelated
reasons the search cannot work in the cloud mode) - one of the fields is a
very large text, stored mostly for highlighting. To cut down the index size
(for purposes of replication/scaling) I thought I could try to save it in a
database - and not in the index.

Lucene has codecs - one of the methods is for 'stored field', so that seems
likes a natural path for me.

However, I'd expect somebody else before had a similar problem. I googled
and couldn't find any solutions. Using the codecs seems really good thing
for this particular problem, am I missing something? Is there a better way
to cut down on index size? (besides solr cloud/sharding, compression)

Thank you,

   Roman