The approximate amount of work will be very close to what it would
take Solr to just index the documents from a client. Actually it puts
a little _more_ of a load on Solr. In the case you do an Atomic
Update, Solr has to
1> fetch all the stored fields from the index
2> construct a Solr document
3> change the values in the doc based on the atomic update
4> re-index the doc just as though it had received it from a client.

Whereas if you just send the doc from an external client Solr has to
1> de-serialize the doc
2> index it (identical to step 4 above)

The sweet spot for Atomic Updates is when you can't easily get the
original document from the system-of-record.

Best,
Erick