I'm interested in building a software system which will connect to various
document sources, extract the content from the documents contained within
each source, and make the extracted content available to a search engine
such Solr. This search engine will serve as the back-end for a web-based
search application.

I'm interested in rendering snippets of these documents in the search
results for well-known types, such as Microsoft Word and PDF. How would one
go about implementing document snippet rendering in search?

I'd be happy with serving up these snippets in any format, including as
images. I just want to be able to give my users some kind of formatted
preview of their results for well-known types.

Thank you!