Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion.  Restarting solr after an in-memory
corruption is, of course, trivial (compared to rebuilding the indexes).

Are there any solr directories that MUST be read/write (even with a
pre-built index)?  Would it suffice (for my purposes) to make only the
data/index directory R-O?

Terry