> Is this practical adding so much additional fields?

Well, as always "it depends" .. the way I see it: what are 20 fields? They
just sit around and make your life way easier.

You have two choices: stay with one field and have a hard time ... or add
another 20 or so which do exactly what you want.

To complete this with another use case: full text search including phonetic
matches. Instead of just having _one_ field for "name" and a awful list of
analyzers on it ... I'd probably go with a bunch of them: Separate first-
and last name, another two (one for each part of the name) for lowercase
variants, another two for phonetic variants .. which already makes six. You
get the possibility to do boosting on those aspects more or less for free
..

Almost always it's write once, read often .. so do the heavy lifting while
indexing and enjoy simple queries.

- Stefan