On 4/4/2018 7:14 AM, Doug Turnbull wrote:
I've been struggling to do a basic upconfig both with embedded and actual
Zookeeper in Solr 7.2.1 using the zkcli script on OSX.

One variable, I recently upgraded to Java 9. I get slightly different
errors on Java 8 vs 9

<snip>

Java 9:

doug@wiz$~/ws/foo(mas) $
/Users/doug/bin/solr-7.2.1/server/scripts/cloud-scripts/zkcli.sh -zkhost
localhost:2181 -cmd upconfig -confdir solr_home/foo/ -confname foo_conf
WARN  - 2018-04-04 09:05:28.194;
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread; Session 0x100244e8ffb0004 for
server localhost/127.0.0.1:2181, unexpected error, closing socket
connection and attempting reconnect
java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer

<snip>

Java 8 gives the error

java.io.IOException: Protocol wrong type for socket

WARN  - 2018-04-04 09:10:11.879;
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread; Session 0x10024db7e280002 for
server localhost/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1:2181, unexpected error, closing socket
connection and attempting reconnect
java.io.IOException: Protocol wrong type for socket

I'm with Erick on this.  These are REALLY weird errors. The stacktraces for the errors are entirely in ZooKeeper and Java code, not Solr code.  The log for Java 9 does have an entry that mentions Solr classes, but that's a disconnect after the error, not part of the error.

Are you getting any corresponding log messages in the ZK server log?

The ZkCLI class is part of Solr, and does interface to ZK through Solr internals, but ultimately it's ZK doing the work.

The ZK client that's in Solr 7.2.1 is version 3.4.10.

Thanks,
Shawn