Thanks Shawn for the inputs, which will definitely help us to scale our
cluster better.

Regards

On 2 May 2018 at 18:15:12, Shawn Heisey (apa...@elyograg.org) wrote:

On 5/1/2018 5:33 PM, Greenhorn Techie wrote:
> Wondering what are the considerations to be aware to arrive at an optimal
> heap size for Solr JVM? Though I did discuss this on the IRC, I am still
> unclear on how Solr uses the JVM heap space. Are there any pointers to
> understand this aspect better?

I'm one of the people you've been chatting with on IRC.

I also wrote the wiki page that Susheel has recommended to you.

> Given that Solr requires an optimally configured heap, so that the
> remaining unused memory can be used for OS disk cache, I wonder how to
best
> configure Solr heap. Also, on the IRC it was discussed that having 31GB
of
> heap is better than having 32GB due to Java’s internal usage of heap. Can
> anyone guide further on heap configuration please?

With the index size you mentioned on IRC, it's very difficult to project
how much heap you're going to need. Actually setting up a system,
putting data on it, and firing real queries at it may be the only way to
be sure.

The only concrete advice I can give you with the information available
is this: Install as much memory as you can. It is extremely unlikely
that you would ever have too much memory when you're dealing with
terabyte-scale indexes.

Heavy indexing (which you have mentioned as a requirement in another
thread) will tend to require a larger heap.

Thanks,
Shawn