This ticket originally addressed the issue:

It's a confusing ticket though and I'm not seeing test cases that prove out
that this is still working. I write a quick test case to see how escaping
of quotes is being handled.

This is a followup issue which has not yet been resolved:

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/