Shawn, Thanks for your response. Please find my follow-up questions:

1. My understanding is that Directory Factory settings are typically at a
collection / core level. If thats the case, what is the advantage of
passing it along with the start script?
2. In your below response, did you mean that even though I pass the
settings as part of start script, they dont have any value unless they are
mentioned as part of the solrconfig.xml file?
3. As per my previous email, what does Solr do if my solfconfig.xml contain
NRTDirectoryFactory setting while the solr script is started with HDFS
settings?

Thanks

On 7 June 2018 at 15:08:02, Shawn Heisey (apa...@elyograg.org) wrote:

On 6/7/2018 7:37 AM, Greenhorn Techie wrote:
> When the above settings are passed as part of start script, does that
mean
> whenever a new collection is created, Solr is going to store the indexes
in
> HDFS? But what if I upload my solrconfig.xml to ZK which contradicts with
> this and contains NRTDirectoryFactory setting? Given the above start
> script, should / could I skip the directory factory setting section in my
> solrconfig.xml with the assumption that the collections are going to be
> stored on HDFS *by default*?

Those commandline options are Java system properties.  It looks like the
example configs DO have settings in them that would use the
solr.directoryFactory and solr.lock.type properties.  But if your
solrconfig.xml file doesn't reference those properties, then they
wouldn't make any difference.  The last one is probably a setting that
HdfsDirectoryFactory uses that doesn't need to be explicitly referenced
in a config file.

Thanks,
Shawn