I am using Solr (6.6.0) in the automatic mode (where it discovers
fields).  It's working fine with one exception.  The problem is that
Solr maps the discovered "meta_creation_date" is assigned the type
TrieDateField.

Unfortunately, that type is limited in a number of ways (like sorting,
abbreviated forms and etc.).  What I'd like to do is have that
("meta_creation_date") field assigned to a different type, like
DateRangeField.

Is it possible to accomplish this (during indexing) by creating a copy
field to a different type, and using the copy field in the query?  Or
via some kind of function operation (which I've never understood)?