PDF is not a structured document format. It is a printer control format.

PDF does not have a paragraph marker. Instead, it says to move
to this spot on the page, choose this font, and print this letter. For a
paragraph, it moves farther. For the next letter in a word, it moves a
little bit. Extracting paragraphs from that is a difficult pattern recognition
problem.

I worked with a PDF of a two-column magazine article that printed
the first line of column 1, then the first line of column 2, then the
second line of column 1, and so on. If a line ended with a hyphenated
word, too bad.

Extracting structure from a PDF document is somewhere between
very hard and impossible. Someone I worked with said that getting
structured text from PDF was like turning hamburger back into a cow.

Since Acrobat 5, there is “tagged PDF”. I’m not sure how widely that
is used. It appears to be an accessibility feature, so it still might not
be useful for search.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org