I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about this, just set it to a
big number ;).

Solr won't create that many replicas (and the name is a bit confusing)
unless you ask it to. It'll also distribute the replicas across nodes
rather than putting them all together, and in the worst case you can
place them individually yourself.

This is more a safety valve to keep from doing ridiculous things, like
telling Solr to create 1,000 replicas on 2 hosts or something.

Best,
Erick