On 8/21/2018 2:29 AM, Artjoms Laivins wrote:
We are running Solr cloud with 3 nodes v. 6.6.2
We started with version 5 so we have some old index that we need safely move
over to v. 7 now.
New data comes in several times per day.
Our questions are:

Should we run IndexUpgrader tool on one slave node that is down or it is safe
to run it while Solr is running and possible updates of the index are coming?
If yes, when we start it again will leader update this node with new data only
or will it overwrite index?

It might not be possible to upgrade two major versions like that, even with IndexUpgrader.  There is only a guarantee of reading an index ORIGINALLY written by the previous major version.

Even if it's possible to accomplish an upgrade, it is strongly recommended that you index from scratch anyway.

You cannot run IndexUpgrader while Solr has the index open.  The index must be completely closed.  You cannot update an index while it is being upgraded.

Thanks,
Shawn