On 8/31/2018 12:14 PM, Jack Schlederer wrote:
Our working hypothesis is that Solr's JVM is caching the IP addresses for the
ZK hosts' DNS names when it starts up, and doesn't re-query DNS for some reason
when it finds that that IP address is no longer reachable (i.e., when a
ZooKeeper node dies and spins up at a different IP).

It might be the Solr JVM that's doing this, but it is NOT Solr code.  It is ZooKeeper code.

Solr incorporates the ZooKeeper jar and uses the ZooKeeper API for all interaction with ZooKeeper.  There is nothing we can do for this DNS problem -- it is a problem that must be raised with the ZooKeeper project.

As Walter hinted, ZooKeeper 3.4.x is not capable of dynamically adding/removing servers to/from the ensemble.  To do this successfully, all ZK servers and all ZK clients must be upgraded to 3.5.x.  Solr is a ZK client when running in cloud mode.  The 3.5.x version of ZK is currently in beta.  When a stable version is released, Solr will have its dependency upgraded in the next release.  We do not know if you can successfully replace the ZK jar in Solr with a 3.5.x version without making changes to the code.

Thanks,
Shawn