I don't think I've much to add that Steve hasn't already covered, but we've
also seen this "null doc" problem in one of our setups.

In one of our Solr Cloud instances in production where the /get handler is
hit very hard in bursts, the /get request will occasionally return "null"
for a document that exists. However, there is very heavy indexing (no
overwrites or deletes) during that time which we assumed was the cause.
This happens on 2 collections which have 10 shards each, replication factor
of 2, spread across 4 hosts. During testing and when we first moved to this
setup in production, we had a replication factor of 1, and still
experienced the same issue of periodic "null" returned for documents, so it
is probably not a replica synchronization issue.

These documents were indexed about 10 minutes prior and had already been
successfully returned to previous /get requests. We haven't been able to
replicate it with any consistency, but it isn't a particularly critical
issue with our use case.

Best,
Chris