The problem you're at now is that, having run optimize, that single
massive segment will accumulate deletes until it has < 2.5G "live"
documents. So once you do optimize (and until you get to Solr 7.5),
unless you can live with this one segment accumulating deletes for a
very long time, you must continue to optimize.

Or you could re-index from scratch if possible and never optimize.

Best,
Erick