I have to echo what others have said. An 80G heap is waaaaaaay out the norm,
especially when you consider the size of your indexes and the number of docs.

Understanding why you think you need that much heap should be your top
priority. As has already been suggested, insuring docValues are set for all
fields that are used for sorting, faceting and grouping is a must. Deep paging
can hurt too.

In addition I'd check the cache settings, do you have a huge
filterCache? What about
the other caches? One common mistake is to have very high cache
settings, in your setup
I'd stick with 512 to start.

Without _data_ it's hard to say, so unless some of those settings
don't help the next
thing I'd do is a heap dump or put a profiler on the JVM and see where
the heap is actually
allocated.

It's quite possible that you arrived at 80G with some mistaken
assumptions and once
those are cleared up you can reduce your heap a lot. You say "through
a lot of trial and error",
what exactly happens when you use, say, a 32G heap? OOMs? Slowdowns?

This is also starving your OS cache where most of the Lucene index
data is stored, see:
http://blog.thetaphi.de/2012/07/use-lucenes-mmapdirectory-on-64bit.html

Best,
Erick