I would check if the Byte-order mark is the cause:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

The error message does not seem to be a perfect match to this issue,
but a good thing to check anyway.

That symbol (right at the file start) is usually invisible and can
trip Java XML parsers for some reasons. So I would check what editor
on your platform understands Byte-order mark and/or try to strip it.

I that does not help, I would run the file through XML validator to
see if there are maybe invisible/unexpected characters elsewhere in
the file.

Regards,
    Alex.