What does your cache statistics look like? What's the hit ratio, size,
evictions etc?

More comments inline:

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 8:23 AM Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sofiya:
>
> I haven't said so before, but it's a great pleasure to work with
> someone who's done a lot of homework before pinging the list. The only
> unfortunate bit is that it usually means the simple "Oh, I can fix
> that without thinking about it much" doesn't work ;)
>
> 2.  I'll clarify a bit here. Any TLOG replica can become the leader.
> Here's the process for an update:
> > doc comes in to the leader (may be TLOG)
> > doc is forwarded to all TLOG replicas, _but it is not indexed there_.
> > If the leader fails, the other TLOG replicas have enough documents in
> _their_ tlogs to "catch up" and one is elected
> > You're totally right that PULL replicas cannot become leaders
> > having all TLOG replicas means that the CPU cycles otherwise consumed by
> indexing are available for query processing.
>
> The point here is that TLOG replicas don't need to expend CPU cycles
> to index documents, freeing up all those cycles for serving queries.
>
> Now, that said you report that QPS rate doesn't particularly seem to
> be affected by whether you're indexing or not, so that makes using
> TLOG and PULL replicas less likely to solve your problem. I was
> thinking about your statement that you index as fast as possible....
>

> 6. This is a little surprising. Here's my guess: You're  indexing in
> large batches and the batch is only really occupying a thread or two
> so it's effectively serialized thus not consuming a huge amount of
> resources.

The CloudSolrClient parallelizes updates to each shard leader. But in this
case, there is only 1 shard so all updates are serialized. All indexing
activity is therefore being performed by a single CPU at a time.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.