On Sat, 2018-11-03 at 21:41 -0700, Wei wrote:
> Thanks everyone! I checked the system metrics during the optimization
> process. CPU usage is quite low, there is no I/O wait,  and memory
> usage is not much different from before the docValues change.  So I
> wonder what could be the bottleneck.

Are you looking at overall CPU usage or single-core? When we run force
merge, we have a single core at 100% while the rest are idle.

NB: There is currently a thread "Static index, fastest way to do
forceMerge" in the Lucene users mailinglist, which seem to be quite
parallel to this thread.

- Toke Eskildsen, royal Danish Library