bq. I have 3 indexes and all three use different schema.

I assume that the user can't indicate a field to search against
or this is a total non-starter.

Even if you are just sending bare search terms to the different
collections, how are you going to compare returns from them?
Scores aren't comparable since the term stats will be different. You
can't sort across the different collections unless the sort fields you
use are common. Etc.

You have to define precisely what you mean by "federated search".
Return the top N/3 docs from each collection by the score each returns?
Sort by a common field? Other???

Best,
Erick