First I want to thank you for your comments.
Second I'll add some background information.

Here Solr is part of a complex information management project, which I developed for a customer and which includes different source databases, containing edited/imported/crawled content. This project runs on a Debian root server, which is hosted by an ISP and maintained by the ISP's support team and - a little bit - by me.
This setting was required by my customer.

Solr searches are created and processed on this server from a PHP MySQL stack, and port 8983 is only available internally. I agree the opening port 8983 to the public is dangerous, I've experienced that. Nevertheless from time to time I need access to the Solr Admin GUI on that server.

My ISP's support team is not familiar with Solr, but willing to help.
So I'll forward your comments to them and discuss with them.

Thank you again.
Walter