This seems very confused. When you say your zookeeper
state is new, you mean there's no remnant of your old 6.1
collection? Then manually creating a core.properties file
won't do you any good as there's no collection to add it to.

You cannot just create a core.properties file and expect Solr
to reconstruct the entire collection information with legacyCloud
false. That means that ZooKeeper is considered "the one
source of truth" and if something on a local disk isn't reflected
in the state.json file, it's considered invalid.

This really sounds like an XY problem and your goal is to
upgrade a cluster from 6.1 to 7.6. You should just be able
to install 7.6 over 6.1 and fire it up. It should not be necessary
to do anything else. By "over" here I mean
> install 7.6
> shut down 6.1
> start 7.6 with the SOLR_HOME pointing to the same place
   as your 6.1 for each Solr instance.

If you want to create a new cluster, say for testing purposes or
whatever what I'd do is just create an identical collection ("Identical"
here means same number of shards, one replica each) with the
collections API. Then shut down your new Solr and copy the data
directory from a replica from your 6.1 install to the corresponding
replica in your 7.6 install. You should NOT be actively indexing at this
time and should have issued a commit to the 6.1 or shut 6.1 down.
"corresponding replica" here is the replica with the same "range", but
in this case it doesn't matter since you only have one shard.

Then use the collections ADDREPLICA command to  add as many
replicas as you want.

Best,
Erick