Hi Markus,
As of 7.6, LUCENE-8531 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8531>
reverted a graph/Spans-based phrase query implementation (introduced in 6.5
-- LUCENE-7699 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7699>) to an
implementation that builds a separate phrase query for each possible
enumerated path through the graph described by a parsed query.
The potential for combinatoric explosion of the enumerated approach was (as
far as I can tell) one of the main motivations for introducing the
Spans-based implementation. Some real-world use cases would be good to
explore. Markus, could you send (as an attachment) the debug toString() for
the queries with/without synonyms enabled? I'm also guessing you may have
WordDelimiterGraphFilter on the query analyzer?
As an alternative to disabling pf, LUCENE-8531 only reverts to the
enumerated approach for phrase queries where slop>0, so setting ps=0 would
probably also help.
Michael