We just went through this process.  We simply copied the 1.2 index to the
new server (while the 1.2 server was live---responding to requests and
handling updates) and started it up with 1.3.  It worked.  I can't promise
that you'll have the same experience, but it's worth a try.  Also, if I were
you, I'd assume that some of the documents will be lost, so I'd reindex any
recently added documents.

Jason

--
Jason Rennie
Head of Machine Learning Technologies, StyleFeeder