99% sure it’s background merging. When two segments are merged, the combined
segment is written and only after it’s successful will the old segments be
deleted.

Restarting will stop any ongoing merging and delete any un-referenced segments.
I expect you’ll see the space come back as you start indexing again.

For this reason, it’s required that _at least_ as much free space exists on the
disk as the index occupies, and maybe 2x.

IOW, this is normal operation at this point. Especially if you optimize (which
I recommend against) then I practically guarantee that you’ll need as much free
space on your disk as the index size.

Best,
Erick