Offhand I suspect this would be an enormous effort, not worth the work.

I agree that double-or-nothing is not terribly convenient, but that said since
multiple replicas can be hosted on the same node and moved to other hardware as
needed (oversharding, even for existing collections) there are ways to deal
with this currently.

There would have to be extraordinary benefits to interest me. And the stated
benefit so far of being able to expand gradually rather than doubling shards
isn’t an extraordinary benefit. That effort would come at the expense of a lot
of other work.

Another way of saying it is that the burden of proof for the benefits is on you
;).

Best,
Erick