On 6/14/2019 5:53 AM, Sripra deep wrote:
   Any help would be appreciated, I am using solr 7.1.0, Suddenly we got a
high I/O even with a very low request rate and the core went down. Did
anybody experience the same or root cause of this.

Below are the log error msg that we got from solr.log

<snip>

org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException

<snip>

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

This exception means that the client making the http request disconnected before Solr was able to respond. When Solr finishes processing and tries to respond, it finds that it can't, because the connection is gone. The client probably has a timeout that it reached.

The other reply you got mentioned segment merging. That would cause an I/O spike, but queries would still execute during the merge, so I think it's more likely that what's happening is your OS is swapping memory from running programs out to disk, which can cause those programs to stop responding until that memory is swapped back in. A system that is using swap or paging space will typically run VERY slowly.

If that's what is happening, the fix for that problem is to either adjust what's running on the server so it needs less memory, or to add memory to the server.

Thanks,
Shawn