I'm not really sure I got what you want to achieve, but after reading

" I am trying to manipulate the data that I already have in the response,
I can see how I can access the response and construct a new one."

an option to consider could be a query response writer [1].

Cheers,
Andrea

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/response-writers.html