On 8/28/2019 4:01 AM, Kayak28 wrote:
I use Solr with Windows servers, and cannot shutdown Solr successfully.
When I try to stop Solr using solr.cmd, which is kicked from Windows Task
Manager, it "looks" like Solr stops without any problem.
Here "looks" means that at least log file that Solr wrote does not seem to
have any error.
(I pasted a piece of the log where I believe "success" at the end of this
email )

The solr.cmd script will try to stop Solr gracefully, wait five seconds, and then forcibly terminate it. We have modified this operation in recent versions for operating systems other than windows, so that the bash script will wait up to three minutes for Solr to terminate gracefully before it is forcibly terminated. But this has not been done on Windows.

*Environment*
OS: Windows Server 2012 R2
Java: Oracle JDK 1.8.0
Solr  Version: 5.2.1

Which of the many Java 8 versions are you running? 1.8.0 is not specific enough. You should be running at least build 40, and something numbered above 100 would be better. The latest 1.8.0 versions of Oracle Java have a different license than earlier versions, something you might need to be aware of. Oracle is now requiring a paid license for any production use of their Java. Only development can be done for free.

Solr Structures:15 Solr server, enabled to distributed search with sharding
(Not using SolrCloud)
Memory(Solr / physical) : 20GB/32GB
Index Size: around 300GB

You should probably have at least 128GB of total system memory for 300GB of index, and 256GB would be better. Assuming that there is no software other than Solr on this machine, you only have about 12GB of memory left to cache that 300GB of index data. If there is other software on the system, there will probably be even less memory available. This could cause Solr to be very slow to shut down.

Maybe the user that's running the stop command doesn't have permission to forcibly terminate the Solr process. In which case you would have to wait for the graceful shutdown, and as I just mentioned, that could be very slow on your setup.

Thanks,
Shawn