Currently our 7.7.2 cluster has ~600 hosts and each collection is using an
autoscaling policy based on system property. Our goal is a single core per host
(container, running on K8S). However as we have rolled more
containers/collections into the cluster any creation/move actions are taking a
huge amount of time. In fact we generally hit the 180 second timeout if we
don't schedule it as async. Though the action gets completed anyway. Looking at
the code, it looks like for each core it is considering the entire cluster.

Right now our autoscaling policies look like this, note we are feeding a
sysprop on startup for each collection to map to specific containers:

"FOO_CUSTOMER":[
      {
        "replica":"#ALL",
        "sysprop.HELM_CHART":"FOO_CUSTOMER",
        "strict":"true"},
      {
        "replica":"<2",
        "node":"#ANY",
        "strict":"false"}]

Does name based filtering allow wildcards ? Also would that likely fix the
issue of the time it takes for Solr to decide where cores can go? Or any other
suggestions for making this more efficient on the Solr overseer? We do have
dedicated overseer nodes, but the leader maxes out CPU for awhile while it is
thinking about this.

We are considering putting each collection into its own zookeeper znode/chroot
if we can't support this many nodes per overseer. I would like to avoid that if
possible, but also creating a collection in sub 10 minutes would be neat too.

I appreciate any input/suggestions anyone has!

[https://storage.googleapis.com/e24-email-images/e24logonotag.png]<https://www.evolve24.com>
 Andrew Kettmann
DevOps Engineer
P: 1.314.596.2836
[LinkedIn]<https://linkedin.com/company/evolve24> [Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/evolve24>  [Instagram]
<https://www.instagram.com/evolve_24>

evolve24 Confidential & Proprietary Statement: This email and any attachments
are confidential and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. It is intended for the use of
the recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have
received this communication in error, please do not read, print, copy,
retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Please delete this
email and attachments, without reading, printing, copying, forwarding or saving
them, and notify the Sender immediately by reply email. No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any transmission in error.