Audrey Lorberfeld - audrey.lorberf...@ibm.com <audrey.lorberf...@ibm.com> wrote:
> Do you find that searching over both the original title field and the
> normalized title
> field increases the time it takes for your search engine to retrieve results?

It is not something we have measured as that index is fast enough (which in
this context means that we're practically always waiting for the result from an
external service that is issued in parallel with the call to our Solr server).

Technically it's not different from searching across other fields defined in
the eDismax setup, so I guess it boils down to "how many fields can you afford
to search across?", where our organization's default answer is "as many as we
need to get quality matches. Make it work Toke, chop chop". On a more serious
note, it is not something I would worry about unless we're talking some special
high-performance setup with a budget for tuning: Matching terms and joining
filters is core Solr (Lucene really) functionality. Plain query &
filter-matching time tend to be dwarfed by aggregations (grouping, faceting,
stats).

- Toke Eskildsen