I also ran into this while researching cluster policies. Solr 7.6

Except same situation: introduce a rule to control placement of
collections. Backup. Delete. Restore. Solr complains it can't do it.

I don't need them just yet, so I stopped there, but reading this is quite
disturbing.

Does deleting the rule, restore and then immediately re-instating the rule
work?