You can certainly replicate the joined collection to every shard. It must fit
in one shard and a replica of that shard must be co-located with every replica
of the “to” collection.

Have you looked at streaming and “streaming expressions"? It does not have the
same problem, although it does have its own limitations.

Best,
Erick