The NOT operator isn’t a Boolean NOT, so it requires some care, Chris Hostetter
wrote a good blog about that. Try

q=*:* -(<solr_field_name>:*c*

The query q=-something really isn’t valid syntax, but some query parsers help
you out by silently putting the *:* in front of it. that’s not guaranteed
across all parsers though.

Best,
Erick