Pretty much correct. The only change I’d make is that 7x is not actively being
supported in the sense that only seriously critical bugs will be addressed.
You’ll note that the last release of 7x was 7.7.2 in early June. Increased
functionality, speedups, etc won’t be back-ported.

So I can’t think of any reason to go with 7x over 8x if you’re starting
something new.

Best,
Erick