: If I use the following query:in the browser, I get the expected results at
: the top of the returned values from Solr.
:
: {
:   "responseHeader":{
:     "status":0,
:     "QTime":41,
:     "params":{
:       "q":"( clt_ref_no:OWL-2924-8 ^2 OR contract_number:OWL-2924-8^2 )",
:       "indent":"on",
:       "fl":"clt_ref_no, score",
:       "rows":"1000"}},

...so w/o a score param you're getting the default sort: score "desc"
(descending)...

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/common-query-parameters.html#CommonQueryParameters-ThesortParameter

        "If the sort parameter is omitted, sorting is performed as though the
        parameter were set to score desc."

: If I add ihe sorting needed for cursor, my results change
: dramatically, and the exact matches are not at the top of the stack.
: {
:   "responseHeader":{
:     "status":0,
:     "QTime":80,
:     "params":{
:       "q":"( clt_ref_no:OWL-2924-8 ^2 OR contract_number:OWL-2924-8^2 )",
:       "indent":"on",
:       "fl":"clt_ref_no, score",
:       "sort":"score asc, id asc",

...you've requested sort "asc" (ascendeing) which means you're explicitly
requesting the lowest scoring documents first.

Did you see some example somewhere suggesting that you needed to sort by
"score asc" ????

(there are only a few niche cases where sorting by "score asc" is ever
moderately useful)

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/