Thanks. I also just now found
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/metrics-reporting.html

I'm currently sticking to version 7.6

I've enabled JMX metrics and am accessing them via JmxTerm. There are
indeed a lot, though filtering by key=value is easy enough.

That being said, finding out what they mean is a bit harder.

Also, it seems that even the most recent documentation is out of date.

For instance here:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/performance-statistics-reference.html#commonly-used-stats-for-request-handlers

At the bottom there is mention of "avgRequestsPerSecond" and
"avgTimePerRequest", which in fact do not exist anymore. I can see them on
older versions of solr, but not on 7.6

And it seems nothing with identical meaning has taken its place.

I'll make a separate question for that.