Hi rhys,

You are actually looking for an autocomplete! I work for the Auto-Suggest
(different names for the same thing) team at Indiamart.

Although we have a long journey making our Auto-Suggest one of the fastest
on the internet, I hope this summary will help you. You can always
connect with me for any doubt.

   1. If you don't have a high number of documents, you can use wildcards
   in the query for a simpler implementation. That means, you just convert
   your query from q=app to q=app* so that it matches "apple". Wildcards have
   its own cons (constant scoring, high QTime) and since it's a multi-term
   expansion, you cannot use many analyzers over the query. It had been
   performing well (under 50 ms QTime) till we had 22 million documents (which
   is still a large number of documents).

   2. Now that we have over 60 million documents, we have shifted to Edge
   NGrams

<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/tokenizers.html#edge-n-gram-tokenizer>
   on the index side. Using this, your highlighting should work as expected
   and as you do in normal searching.

   3. You also have Suggester
   <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_3/suggester.html> component for
   Solr that you can use for basic suggester functionalities. Supports
   highlighting.

>From my experience, the best solution is Edge NGrams (2). We have over 60
million documents and still a 25 ms QTime and we do complex scoring and
analysis.

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 22:43, rhys J <rhyssha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you both! I've got an autocomplete working on a basic format right
> now, and I'm working on implementing it to be smart about which core it
> searches.
>
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 11:43 AM Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It sounds like you look for a suggester.
> >
> > You can use the suggester of Solr.
> >
> > For the visualization part: Angular has a suggestion box that can ingest
> > the results from Solr.
> >
> > > Am 21.11.2019 um 16:42 schrieb rhys J <rhyssha...@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Are there any recommended APIs or code examples of using Solr and then
> > > highlighting results below the search box?
> > >
> > > I'm trying to implement a search box that will search solr as the user
> > > types, if that makes sense?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Rhys

Regards,

*Paras Lehana* [65871]
Development Engineer, Auto-Suggest,
IndiaMART Intermesh Ltd.

8th Floor, Tower A, Advant-Navis Business Park, Sector 142,
Noida, UP, IN - 201303

Mob.: +91-9560911996
Work: 01203916600 | Extn:  *8173*

--
IMPORTANT:
NEVER share your IndiaMART OTP/ Password with anyone.